Think about your values, beliefs and wishes. How do these translate into future care? Take some time to think about the quality of life you wish to have.
Part of the free Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care form is choosing your health care decision maker. Choosing a health care decision maker means selecting someone you trust to speak on your behalf if you cannot.
Your wishes are not set in stone. Sometimes, people’s views, beliefs and wishes may change – so can your free Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care form. It’s also important to revisit this form to make sure your wishes are up-to-date.
Once you have chosen your future care wishes and a health care decision maker, you are ready to complete the free Durable Power Attorney for Health Care form.
Make sure everyone knows and understands your wishes. Share completed copies with your family, friends, doctors and caregivers. Keep an extra copy of your free form in an easily-found location. Some keep it in a folder attached to the refrigerator, in their car, or purse/wallet.
It’s important to update this form on a regular basis. Make sure your wishes are in line with the form. Be sure to keep your advance directives up to date as your wishes change and be sure your provider and decision maker have the most up to date document.
- Rhode Island Department of Health:
- Rhode Island Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care form:
- My Care, My Choice, My Voice:
- Prepare for Your Care:
- The Conversation Project
- American Bar Association Consumer Toolkit for Advance Care Planning
Health Care Proxy & Forms
- Health Care Proxies and End of Life Care
- Health Care Proxy Instructions & Document in 9 languages
- Getting Started Tool Kit
- How to Write: Durable (Financial) Power of Attorney Form
- How to Write: Health Care Proxy (Medical POA) Form
Support & Information
POLST & Advance Directives
- Legal Services for the Elderly: Advance Directives Forms
- Everplans Maine Advance Directive
- Maine Hospice Council & Center for End-of-Life Care: Advanced Health Care Planning Resources
- Maine Hospice Council & Center for End-of-Life Care: Hospice and End-of-Life Care Resources