Register for our upcoming webinar
Self-Measured Blood Pressure: A Practice Perspective
January 21, 2020 at 12:00pm-1:00pm | Register Now
In this webinar Chris Campanile, MD, PhD and Joseph Bizier, PharmD, BCACP, will discuss their experience launching a SMBP Program at their Coastal Hillside practice, the support of technology to assess real-time data and their success to date. They will also review their workflows to minimize the burdens of a new project, while maximizing patient outcomes.
At the end of this webinar you will be able to:
- Describe the steps to launching a Self-Measured Blood Pressure Program in your practice
- Identify practical workflows for capturing, tracking and acting upon home BP readings
About the Speakers
- Chris Campanile, MD, PhD
- Chris Campanile, MD, PhD is a family practice physician at Coastal Hillside Family Medicine. Hillside is a founding practice of CSI-RI, the Chronic Care Sustainability Initiative, Rhode Island’s multi-payer practice improvement program. Coastal Hillside is Level 3 Recognized by NCQA and Dr. Campanile successfully attested for Meaningful Use in 2011. He is also a Clinical Coordinator at Healthcentric Advisors (formerly Quality Partners of RI), the state’s CMS Quality Improvement Organization. He has worked with many practices in Rhode Island assisting in the transformation to the patient centered medical home. Dr. Campanile received a PhD in Pharmacology from the University of Wisconsin and his MD from the Medical College of Virginia. He completed his residency in Family Medicine at Brown University Alpert Medical School where he is now a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine.
- Joseph Bizier, PharmD, BCACP
- Joseph Bizier, PharmD, BCACP, is a clinical pharmacist at Coastal Medical, a primary care driven Accountable Care Organization (ACO) supporting the three-part aim of better care, better health and lower cost. Coastal delivers care to 120,000 patients with a team of over 125 providers located in 20 medical offices across Rhode Island. As a member of Coastal’s pharmacy team, Joseph provides in-office medication therapy management for patients with chronic diseases, including diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, and respiratory disorders.
December Blood Pressure Pilot Data
Initial analysis of the data demonstrates that:
- 54% of the patients participating in the pilot with uncontrolled BP (>140/90) have reduced their average BP to below 140/90 by the middle of January. This decrease from the previous month is related to multiple new patients being added to the portal in the last 1-2 weeks. Evidence to date shows >50% patients under control after approximately 4 weeks in the pilot.
- To date, alerts have resulted in:
- 32 medication changes
- 68 calls to patients
- 27 messages sent to patients via EHR portal
- 3 office appointments scheduled
Patient Self-Management Education-Best Foot Forward
The New Year is a great time to launch our mini education class to motivate patients toward healthy lifestyle choices. Materials to be covered include:
- HTN and Complications
- DASH Diet
- Smoking Cessation
- Physical Movement
- Stress Reduction/Sleep
- Setting Attainable Goals
This 90-minute, interactive, group class offering begins the week of Jan. 20th. To schedule a class at your practice, contact Brenda Jenkins at 401-528-3246 or firstname.lastname@example.org